Whether you spend 30 seconds on your skincare regime everyday or whether you dedicate an extra 10 minutes for it, everyone has a regime. Specially now in lockdown, some people have adopted a skincare regime but there are few things that you might be doing wrong. And while we all have the best intentions when it comes to taking care of our complexion, we sometimes sabotage our skin without realizing it. Your daily habits make a major difference when it comes to preventing damage and premature aging. So here are few mistakes that you might be making on regular basis without even realizing it.
1) Not following a cleansing routine: One of the most common mistakes that most people are aware of and still make is this. Not performing a double cleanse at night is a big one: for best cleansing results, perform an initial cleanse to remove your makeup, and then a secondary cleanse to actually cleanse your skin and prepare it for your subsequent at-home products. I know a lot of people who would still fall asleep with their makeup on, which is a big No No! It is really important to also wash your face every morning. Overnight, your skin cells are hard at work, which means they’re secreting toxins and sebum. You’re also shedding dead skin cells and sweating. Your morning cleanse is the time to remove that buildup and prep your skin for the products ahead.
2) Exfoliate too often or don’t exfoliate at all: These days, when it comes to skincare products, if it’s not burning or stinging then people think it’s not working. In the quest to look younger and have smoother skin, people are doing too many aggressive exfoliating treatments that are actually injuring their skin. Too much exfoliation can cause a damaged moisture barrier, resulting in flaking, dehydration and inflammation, possible destruction of healthy cells, and a stimulation of melanin activity causing increased hyperpigmentation. Physical exfoliants such as facial scrubs (use ones with round grains) or facial brushes should be used no more than two or three times a week. Chemical exfoliants (including acid serums such as glycolic) should be used three nights on, three nights off. Or if you are doing it at your dermatologist’s clinic, then your dermatologist must recommend the frequency of your treatments.
3) Not wearing sunscreen daily and not applying enough: The number one reason why your skin will age prematurely is from sunlight, daylight and UV rays—period. And 78% of those rays come from incidental exposure. These are all the times when you don’t think you’re getting the damaging rays, like driving in the car, sitting in your home or office near windows, or walking outside on a cloudy winter day when people don’t feel like they need sun protection. If you want to prevent wrinkles, wearing sunscreen 365 days a year, rain or shine, inside or out, is a must.
4) Not using products formulated for your skin type: The reason you may not see improved results with your skincare products is that they aren’t suited for your skin’s unique needs. Find out your skin type and what type of skin a product is formulated for. Listen to your skin expert, not what the skin care packaging reads or what your sister or friend is using. Each person’s skin will respond completely differently to a specific ingredient, even when they have the same skin type and concerns as someone else. So before opting for a product, consult with your skin expert, after all, the dermatologists know skin better than the marketing specialists who knows what sells.
6) Always take your skincare regime to your neck (including the back of neck) and décolletage. These areas tend to be neglected and always show the first signs of ageing. It’s the biggest regret of most of our mature clients at Appleskin clinic.
· Many a times we commit skincare mistakes even after knowing simply because we are too lazy
· Not washing your face in the morning or night is a mistake. A thorough a.m. cleanse ensures your products will work like they’re supposed to.
· Always consult your dermatologist before adding or changing your skincare products
· Everyday use of sunscreen is a must
· Do not neglect your neck and décolletage area when it comes to skincare
#skincaremistakes #commonskincaremistakes #skincareguide #skincarebloggers #cleansingroutine #sunscreenuse #protectskin #dermatologistrecommended #skinexfoliation #skincareproducts #skincarehabits #accidentalcelebridey